Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Not Close Enough


I met someone a few months ago and he told me that I'm different from any other girl he's ever met. He told me that there isn't one thing that he doesn't love about me. He said I was smart, funny, beautiful, caring, outgoing, and that this list could go on forever. He said that any guy would be lucky to have me. And that I'm one of a kind and should never settle.

So I confessed that I wanted to not settle for him. I told him I really liked him and wanted to give things a try and see how it goes. And then he told me that he could never be serious about me because I'm not Catholic. He could never marry me because I'm Buddhist.

I'm going to be 28 this year. I don't need to get married tomorrow, or next year, or the year after that, but I don't have time to waste on someone who could never have a future with me. So I said good bye and now I'm sad.

I feel like the little girl in this Banksy image. I'm always reaching for it, and it seems so close, but I never quite get it right.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sad that you're sad, but anyone who says they can't be with you because you aren't a particular religion is the wrong person for you. He's right that you're one of a kind and should never settle, and I'm glad you made the decision not to settle for him.

    Your prince charming will come, and he will be the perfect man for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything Kira said. Everything. :)

    As you may remember, in college I had kind of a similar experience with a religious guy. He said all these great things about me and seemed to show a genuine interest in me, but then he wouldn't be with me unless I converted to his belief system and got "saved."

    You made the right decision and saved yourself a lot of heartache by being honest with yourself. At least this guy was honest with you, too.

    Mr. Right is out there looking for you right now. I believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends for your support! :) You guys are the best!

    And when my person finally walks into my life, it will be hard for me not to yell at him and ask, what the hell took so long?! Where have you been all my life?! :D

    ReplyDelete